Lot 13: 1960 JAGUAR XK150 DROP HEAD COUPE
Old English White with red leather interior and black top
Engine: straight-six, double overhead camshaft, twin SU carburetors, 3,442cc, 190bhp at 5,500rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual with factory overdrive; Suspension: independent front by wishbones and longitudinal torsion bars, anti-roll bar, semi-elliptic leaf springs to live rear axle; Brakes: servo-assisted four wheel discs. Left hand drive.
Sir William Lyons built Jaguar from his early Swallow Sidecar business on a combination of exciting styling, excellent performance and great value. Good looking sporting sedans were the marque's mainstay, but starting with the SS90 and SS100 models in the late 1930s, Jaguar became even better known for its sports models. This fame continued in the post-war period. Sleek and modern, faster than any production sports car before it, undeniably the sensation of the 1948 London Motor Show, the Jaguar XK120 two-seater roadster founded a dynasty of thoroughbreds which culminated in the 3.4 litre XK150 introduced in May 1957.
The XK150 was introduced in two body styles, fixed head and drop head coupes (the roadster was not introduced until almost a year after production began). Revised and slightly more spacious within, the luxuriously equipped coupe's coachwork featured a curved front screen and a larger rear window for increased visibility. Occasional seats, suitable for children or space for luggage, were provided. With massive torque from a powerplant tuned to give maximum power at lower revolutions than before, the coupe offered surging acceleration to beyond 120mph. There was revised rack and pinion steering, and with the new four-wheel power disc brakes and improved headlamps, the XK150 was the most capable Jaguar high-speed grand touring car yet.
This XK 150 DHC's documented history dates to 1981 when it was located in a barn belonging to Mr. John Law of New Jersey. Needing a complete restoration it was sold to Mr. Marc Lemchen of Manhattan and West Hampton, New York for $4,500. Mr. Lemchen purchased the Jaguar because his father had once owned an XK150. The restoration began immediately and lasted approximately three years. A majority of the work was completed by West Hampton Coach Works Ltd., which is now known as Manhattan Motors of West Hampton Beach. It is understood that during the renovation the original automatic transmission was replaced by the more desirable and factory correct four-speed manual with overdrive. The car was then sold to the current Jaguar enthusiast in June of 1991. After a number of years of enjoyment the car was repainted in the summer of 1999 using PPG concept acrylic urethane. It has since been shown at two JCNA sponsored events and has collected trophies on both occasions. The last JCNA score was 9.962 in September 2000 in the Driven Class, underscoring the care the current owner has taken in preserving this DHC. Further, we are told that many mechanical improvements have been made including replacing motor mounts, rebuilding carburetors, polishing engine heads, replacing all hoses and belts, fuel lines, gauges, fuel pump, mufflers, and ignition switch. As one would expect from such meticulous maintenance, a large file of receipts accompanies the car. This is a great opportunity to acquire a well-presented, quintessential British sports car.
Exceptional Motor Cars|
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|