Lot 602: 1959 MGA 1600cc Twin-Cam Coupé
The Abtngdon factory had introduced the all new MGA m 1955, a strikingly different car from its T-type predecessors. In 1958 the more powerful Twin-Cam model was introduced, and to cope with the added performance disc brakes were offered together with centre-lock disc wheels. The new car developed 108bhp and had a top speed of 113mph.
This original right-hand drive car was purchased by the current vendors at Bonhams & Brooks’ Historic Festival Sale, Silverstone on 25th August 2001 (Lot 506. At that time the car was described as coming in recent years from a major collection of veteran, vintage and classic cars in the warm climate of South Africa. While in that collection the car was the subject of considerable restoration work with many original parts carefully sourced to ensure that it maintained as close as possible to original specification. Further work, carried out in the UK, has included reconditioning the carburettors and replacing the clutch, dynamo, control box, bonnet safety catch, air filters and distributor. Since 2001 the MGA has formed part of the collection belonging to Robert Leyba (now deceased) in Hamburg. Upon acquisition some cosmetic blemishes were attended to, as were the brakes and clutch. Given to Robert Leyba’s daughter, the car has seen very little use over the course of the past six years. Most attractively presented in black livery with red leather interior, it is equipped with the desirable overdrive transmission and offered with Swansea V5 registration document.
Collectors' Motor Cars and Motorcycles|
Bonhams, Olympia, London,
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£20700|
|Registration number||LSL 904|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|