Lot 605: 1958 MG Magnette ZB Saloon
The merger of Austin with the Nuffield Organisation in 1952 brought together a number of prominent makes under the umbrella of the British Motor Corporation, MG being one of them. From that point onwards, �badge engineering� would be the order of the day, with marques� individual identities sacrificed in the name of rationalisation. Thus the first new MG model of the BMC era - the Z-Series Magnette - shared its unitary-construction bodyshell - MG�s first - with the Wolseley 4/44. The latter had debuted in 1952 powered by the old XPAG 1,250cc engine, but the Magnette, which arrived the following year, came with Austin�s 1,489cc B-Series motor installed. Outwardly distinguishable from its Wolseley sibling by that distinctive MG radiator grille, the Magnette revived a name from the Abingdon manufacturer�s glorious past. Despite growls of disapproval from MG purists, the new Magnette sold well, thanks in no small measure to its excellent road manners and traditional leather-upholstered interior, the latter featuring a beautiful wood-veneer dashboard and �semi-octagonal� instrumentation. The Magnette was upgraded as the �ZB� towards the end of 1956, gaining a more powerful engine together with other refinements; top speed rose to 90mph, making it the UK�s fastest 1.5-litre saloon.
The vendor advises us that this left-hand drive ZB Magnette has enjoyed single family ownership from new, being re-registered in the names of various family members at different times. Described as unrestored, the car is offered with Belgian registration papers.
Collectors' Motor Cars and Motorcycles|
Bonhams, Olympia, London,
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£3680|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|