Lot 606: 1913 Peugeot B�b� 6hp Type BPI Two-Seat Tourer
Ettore Bugatti, who had previously sold designs to Emile Mathis, Deutz and Isotta-Fraschini, was responsible for the design of the B�b� Peugeot at a time when production of Bugatti cars at the Molsheim works was slowly getting off the ground. Only five Bugattis were built in 1910, 75 in 1911 and 175 in 1913, so the sale of the T-head, lateral-valve engine generated a useful injection of capital for Bugatti�s operation while providing Peugeot with a power unit that put them at the forefront of French light car design. The 856cc engine was neat and efficient, and the chassis layout of the new horseshoe-radiatored B�b� featured the reversed, quarter-elliptic leaf spring rear suspension which was to be a feature of Ettore�s later models. The innovative twin concentric propeller shafts of the early models, meshing with two rows of teeth on the crown wheel, was not a feature to receive universal acclaim or adoption.
This early B�b� was discovered in France in 1984 and brought to the UK for restoration. Upon arrival in England the engine was stripped by Bugatti specialist Ivan Dutton and rebuilt as necessary: the carburettor and clutch were stripped and serviced, the magneto overhauled and the car generally checked over. In the immediately preceding ownership (of a long-standing Veteran Car Club member) the B�b� was regularly used in rallies before being offered for sale at Brooks� auction at The National Motor Museum, Beaulieu on 29th July 1999 (Lot 411) where it was purchased by the current owner. The latter, another VCC stalwart, has kept the car as part of his small private collection, using it only sparingly over the course of the past eight years.
Eligible for and always welcome at Bugatti Owners Club gatherings, the car is attractively finished in dark blue livery and equipped with folding windscreen, hood, klaxon horn, Mondia fork-mounted acetylene headlamps, while boasting a rampant lion mascot. It is offered with current MoT/road fund licence and Swansea V5 registration document. The substitution of a French-made magneto for the original Bosch is the only notified deviation from factory specification.
Collectors' Motor Cars and Motorcycles|
Bonhams, Olympia, London,
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£20700|
|Registration number||SV 5856|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|