Lot 620: 1925 Renault Type NN Light Van
Founded by Louis Renault and his brothers Marcel and Fernand in 1898, the company that would become France’s biggest automobile manufacturer started humbly enough, with a solitary 1¾hp De Dion-engined prototype. By 1904 Renault was building its own engines - large-capacity fours at first, followed by the AX twin - and in 1908 introduced its first six-cylinder model despite Louis Renault’s aversion to such complication. Post-WWI, with motoring growing fast, Renault responded to the demand for smaller, cheaper cars by introducing the KJ, a 6CV rival to the newly introduced Citroën 5CV. Launched in 1923, the KJ was powered by a 951cc sidevalve four, notable for its detachable cylinder head, which drove via a cone clutch, three-speed gearbox and transverse-leaf rear axle. The KJ-type engine was retained for the longer-wheelbase Type NN of 1925. Unlike the KJ, which, unusually, was only available with a Renault-built body, the NN was offered with a choice of Billancourt-made coachwork or could be ordered in bare chassis form for bodying by independent coachbuilders.
By the end of the 1920s Renault had become a massive operation, as prominent in the field of commercial vehicle manufacture as that of cars, and this left-hand drive light van is based on the Type NN chassis. We are advised that the vehicle was restored by Beaufort Restoration Services (UK) Ltd in 1989 at a cost of £38,000 and comes with related bills and photographs. Finished in the livery of Holleshill Ltd, it is presented in excellent order throughout and reported to start immediately and run well. The vehicle is offered with (copy) instruction manual, expired MoT (2006) and Swansea V5 registration document.
Collectors' Motor Cars and Motorcycles|
Bonhams, Olympia, London,
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£13800|
|Registration number||DS 8035|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|