Lot 644: 1962 Wolseley 16/60 Saloon
A major sales success for BMC, the Farina-styled family of medium-sized saloons first appeared in December 1958 in the form of the Wolseley 15/60, versions badged as Austin, Morris, MG and Riley following. All cars used the same basic bodyshell and 1,489cc B-Series engine, model differences being achieved by alternative front and rear end treatments, interior trim and instrumentation. Well equipped in the long tradition of Wolseley saloons, the 15/60 came with the single-carburettor engine, floor-mounted gearchange and all the luxury trimmings. The model was revised in September 1961 along with the rest of the B-Series, gaining the 1,622cc engine and becoming the 16/60.
Finished in black with maroon leather interior, this 16/60 has been owned and cherished by three members of the same family and has covered a little over 61,000 miles from new. It is reputed to be the first of its type supplied (to special order) in black livery. Always well maintained, the vehicle comes with comprehensive documentation including an invoice for bodywork restoration by A J Coachworks, of Welling, Kent in 1996 and correspondence relating to further renovation by Glyn Hillyer, of Saltash, Cornwall in 1998. It is offered with original bill of sale, manufacturer�s brochure, old-style logbooks, assorted expired MoT certificates, current road fund licence, MoT to September 2008 and Swansea V5.
Collectors' Motor Cars and Motorcycles|
Bonhams, Olympia, London,
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Registration number||449 SKL|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|