Lot 078: Riley Gamecock 9hp
In 1932 Riley launched a new version of its Riley Nine chassis called the 'Plus Ultra'. This was considerably stiffer than previously and was also dropped to give a lower seating position and create more room inside the cabin. To capitalize on the sporting nature of the chassis, a new two-seater sports tourer was launched with all-round semi-elliptic leaf-sprung suspension, four-wheel drum brakes and a spiral-bevel back axle.
Called the Gamecock after the Gloster Gamecock biplane fighter, it had a fold-flat screen for that essential raffish look but was also equipped with full weather equipment and a long, flat tail that housed a large boot capable of swallowing all the luggage a couple might need on a long touring holiday. Powered by the marque's jewel-like 1,087cc twin-cam four allied to four-speed manual transmission, it could touch 70mph and remained in production until 1934.
First registered in May 1932, this Riley Gamecock was first owned by a Barrie Pitt of London who was to keep it until 1954. In 1957 it was acquired by Ronald Wells of Northants, used for a few months and then put into storage. In 1989 the car was taken out of storage and recommissioned for the road by Mr Wells with help from the current vendor who was a family friend. After two years of sparing use the car was taken off the road again but was regularly started and run up and down the drive. In 1995 the current vendor became the owner of the car but has never used it on the road since. The car will now need a fair amount of restoration/recommissioning before it can be pressed back into use.
Classic Car, Motorcycle & Automobilia|
Brightwells Auctioneers and Valuers, Leominster
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Registration number||GX 8229|
|Engine capacity (cc)||1087|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|