Lot 45: Ford Cortina 1500 GT Rally Car
First registered on 10th January 1967, this Ford Cortina 1500 GT was entrusted to Priestly Engineering of Aycliff, Co. Durham the following year with instructions that it be converted into a circuit racer. To this end, the two-door saloon was upgraded with a Stage 3 engine running on twin 40s and an 80psi oil pump, while other modifications included a 10-inch steering wheel, oil cooler, dual boot-mounted Jaguar petrol pumps and a respray in Aubergine with an ochre stripe. Reconfigured as a rally car in 1970, 'PPC 515E' gained a strut brace, sumpguard, reversing spotlight, Bosch iodine headlamps and airbox filters etc. Used sparingly on various events throughout the country, the Ford had covered some 69,000 miles by 1974. Traded back and forth between its first and second keepers during the 1970s, the car had had only two owners up until 2004 (though, its various logbooks recorded four changes of custodianship). In 1978, the two-door saloon was further altered acquiring a half rollcage, repositioned / boot-mounted battery, long range petrol tank, navigator's foot rest, Cibie driving lamps, lightweight front wings / reinforced wing tops, double anti-roll bars and over legged chassis reinforcement not to mention a servo (2000E) where its stripped-out back seat used to be plus a coat of red paint. While, the next season saw 'PPC 515E' treated to an original low ratio steering box, 3.7:1 differential (as used by the RS Escorts), aluminium rear lower valances and rear leaf-spring assistors. During 1994, the Cortina was reunited with its original 1500 GT engine (number 118E349166C) and some four years later it was repainted in Ermine White. The car's current green Lotus Cortina-style striping and black bonnet / wingtop markings date from 2001. Purchased by a Cornwall-based Major in August 2005, the Ford passed to its last registered keeper some twelve months later. Stated to have covered just 86,000 miles from new, the ex-race / rally car was the subject of much restoration work last year including all new floor pans (Ex-Pressed Steel Panels Ltd), inner / outer sills, both front chassis legs / outriggers, new front struts and overhauled / poly-bushed front suspension at a cost of circa £6,000. Riding on Minilite-style 13 x 5.5J alloy wheels shod with fresh 175/70/13 tyres, this wonderful old warhorse is accompanied by a substantial history file containing 19 MOTs and numerous old colour period photos relating to its varied competition career.
H&H Sales Limited, Stoneleigh Park
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Engine capacity (cc)||1500|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|