Lot 424: Rolls-Royce 25/30hp Tourer
25/30hp arrived in 1936. The newcomer was a development of the immediately preceding 20/25hp model that had been introduced in 1929 featuring an enlarged (from 3,127 to 3,699cc) and more-powerful cross-flow version of its predecessor's six-cylinder, overhead-valve engine. Apart from the latter, early 20/25 chassis were identical to those of the last 20s, both models being produced during 1929. Thus the 20/25 inherited the right-hand gearchange lever and servo-assisted brakes introduced on its predecessor, as well as Phantom-style radiator shutters. Produced contemporaneously with the Phantom II, the 20/25 benefited from many of the features - such as synchromesh gears and centralised chassis lubrication - developed for the larger model. Eventually the trend towards increasingly weighty coachwork prompted Rolls-Royce to revise the 20/25 for 1936. Raising engine capacity to 4,257cc provided the required power increase while the policy of using more proprietary components begun towards the end of 20/25 production saw the new 25/30 adopt a Stromberg carburettor and SU fuel pumps. In its superlative build quality and all other respects the new Rolls-Royce 25/30 remained much as its immediate predecessor, lasting in production until 1939 by which time 1,201 cars had been built. Chassis number 'GRM17' wears tourer coachwork in the style of Barker & Co, which was fitted at some time during the 1960s. The car was acquired by the current vendor from a Mrs Jane Patterson, of Duxford, Cambridgeshire in 2000. Repainted that same year, it is finished in cream over claret with cream leather interior and is described as in generally fair/good condition. The vehicle is offered with MoT to June 2011, Swansea V5 registration document and a continuous run of expired MoT certificates dating back to 1994.
Rolls-Royce, Bentley Motor Cars and Automobilia|
Bonhams, Rockingham Castle, Northamptonshire
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£19550|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|