Lot 116: Rolls-Royce Phantom V Seven-Passenger Limousine
6,230 cc OHV V-8 engine, four-speed automatic transmission, dual master cylinder-equipped hydraulic brakes, servo-assisted, independent front suspension with coil springs and hydraulic shock absorbers, anti-roll torsion bar, asymmetric semi-elliptic leaf springs with hydraulic shock absorbers, electrically-controlled. Wheelbase: 144"
- From the Hooper Corporate Collection - One of only 197 with elegant James Young coachwork - Formerly owned by New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller - Displayed at the Auto & Technik Museum in Sinsheim, Germany
Rolls-Royce dropped its 4.9 Litre long-wheelbase Silver Wraith from its line-up in 1958, replacing it with the Phantom V in 1959. The new car was introduced simultaneously with the updated Silver Cloud II, both featuring the marque's new 6,230 cc aluminium V-8. The Phantom V was considerably larger than the Silver Wraith with a wheelbase of twelve feet, weighing a full two-and-one-half tons, and a length just two inches short of twenty feet! Despite its size, the car was noted in contemporary tests as having the ability to cruise in excess of 100 mph in near total silence. Limited production continued through 1968. Just 581 were produced of which 197 would wear coachwork by James Young.
In 1962, the Phantom V was updated with a lower radiator and bonnet, a four headlamp system, and indicator lights recessed into the nose of the front fenders. Improved carburetion and an increased compression ratio improved performance and economy.
Coachbuilder James Young Ltd. offered three versions of the Phantom V a seven-passenger limousine, a touring limousine, and a Sedanca deVille. The James Young catalogue thusly described the Phantom V limousine: This luxuriously equipped limousine is designed to provide the maximum comfort, whether owner or chauffeur driven& The coachwork on this magnificent car is recognized as the finest to be found anywhere in the modern world. It is the culmination of a century of superb craftsmanship which began with the Bromley Brougham. Indeed, James Young is recognised today as producing some of the most elegant and handsome of all Rolls-Royce bodies of the period.
According to Lawrence Dalton in his book, Rolls-Royce The Classic Elegance, 5LVA121 was first delivered to Italy in February 1964. The vendor has informed us the car was later owned by New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller, although RM does not currently have corroborative documentation. Since joining the Hooper Corporate Collection, it has been displayed for many years in the Auto & Technik Museum in Sinsheim, Germany. It was totally restored in the late-1980s by Hooper & Co. (Coachbuilders) Ltd. and, underhood, shows typical road use and minor wear. It is said to be in good running order. The lovely dark blue exterior is complemented by sumptuous biscuit leather and striking book-matched burl walnut in both the driver and passenger compartments. The passenger compartment is highlighted by its centre console armrest, picnic tables, decanter compartment, jump seats, and occasional pillows crafted of matching leather. All in all, this is a lovely example of one of Rolls-Royces grandest limousines and probably one of the best in existence.
Automobiles of London|
RM Auctions, Battersea Evolution London, United Kingdom
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£162400|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|