Lot 065: MG A Coupe
It's not very often that a closed coupe version of a sportscar actually looks as pleasing as its more glamorous open counterpart, however with the MGA Coupe this was definitely the case. The MGA was blessed with good looks and a well proportioned body from day one, the fixed head Coupe continuing this theme with a roof design that mimicked the Roadster's raised soft-top profile.
The MGA Coupe became a standard model in the range from 1956 and was available throughout the model's lifetime, in 1500, 1600, Mk II and Twin-Cam forms. Standard features included wind-up door windows, external door handles, locks and extra brightwork. Prompted by the Twin Cam's performance advantage, the standard pushrod model received a capacity increase to the same 1588cc, plus front disc brakes, in May 1959. Equipped with a four-speed manual gearbox and rack and pinion steering as standard, the resultant 1600 was reputedly capable of 100mph plus.
Dating from 1958, this particular 1500 Coupe was supplied new to America but was imported back to the UK from California in May 1990. Still apparently in largely sound condition throughout and with just 30,950 miles on the clock, it was then treated to a full restoration with much of the process being recorded on photos in the history file.
After about 1,000 miles of use the car was then put into dry storage in 1993 where it was to remain until earlier this year. Recently recommissioned at a cost of some �1,800 including a new stainless steel fuel tank, all new fuel lines, new batteries and a rebuild of the carburettors, it was also issued with a fresh MOT and is now ready for action once more.
Classic and Vintage Cars & Motorcycles|
Brightwells Auctioneers and Valuers, Herefordshire
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Registration number||BSK 514|
|Engine capacity (cc)||1499|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors||2|