Lot 106: Ford Consul Cortina
Originally given the model name Archbishop, the Ford Consul Cortina was introduced in September 1962 with either standard or deluxe levels of trim. Ford had decided to stick to the tried and tested formula of the very popular Anglia 105E by using an overhead valve engine, four speed gearbox, MacPherson strut front suspension and recirculating ball steering. Available as a two or four door saloon, the Consul Cortina (the company was later to drop the Consul nametag) was to be one of Ford's most successful models. Up until January 1963 all models were fitted with a 1,198cc three bearing crankshaft engine similar to that which powered the Anglia 105E; subsequently, at a cost of �84, one could have had the optional extra of a 1,498cc five bearing crankshaft engine.
Sporting a distinctive, angular body style with tapering flutes along the sides and instantly recognisable 'ban the bomb' rear light clusters, it was described in Ford's advertising campaign as The Small Car with The Big Difference.
Reported by the vendor as being in good to excellent condition in every respect, this attractively presented Dagenham-built car has been well looked after with recent work including the fitment of new shock absorbers front and rear and new front suspension. Presented in its original blue paintwork with matching interior trim, we have also been told that there is no rust to speak of, while included in the sale are 20 old MoT test certificates.
The main reason for the generally good condition of this particular Cortina is due to it having had just two owners from new. An original car with good provenance.
Fine Motor cars incl. The Jaguar Legend|
Coys, Blenheim Palace,Woodstock, Oxfordshire, OX20 1PX
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£1416|
|Registration number||ARH 322B|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors||4|