Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 151: Jaguar Mk V Three Position Drophead

Fine Motor cars incl. The Jaguar Legend, Coys (14 July 2012)

The Mark V was launched at the 1948 London Motor Show at the same time as the XK120, with which it shared a stand. Interestingly, though the XK120 made all the headlines, the Mark V vastly outsold the XK120 by roughly 5,000 cars per year as compared to 2,000 cars per year for the XK120. While the XK120 had a new overhead-camshaft XK engine, the Mark V retained the 1936 driveline including the Jaguar overhead-valve pushrod straight-6 2-1/2L and 3-1/2L units for which the company was renamed after the war. Claimed power output in this application was 126 bhp; the chassis was new with independent front suspension by double wishbones and torsion bar, an arrangement that would be used by Jaguar for many future vehicles. It also had hydraulic brakes, which Jaguar (one suspects that as usual cost lay not far from Sir William Lyons' heart) had been slow to adopt compared to other manufacturers, and an all pressed steel body. The styling of the car followed prewar SS-Jaguar lines with upright chrome grille and the leaping Jaguar radiator cap mascot became available as an option. Again, typically of Lyons, there is a distinct hint of the recently modernised Bentley look in the style of the front grill. This beautiful and original right-hand drive Jaguar MKV Drophead is one of those rare and increasingly desirable 3.5-litre Dropheads which, according to its Heritage Trust certificate, was manufactured on June 29th, 1951 and delivered to the supplying dealer, Attwoods, on July 12th. The accompanying original green log book shows it was registered on August 29th of the same year and further history informs us that Richard Place & Co., chartered accountants from East Grinstead, sold the Jaguar to a Mr K W Holliday of the same town on February 8th 1960. He apparently ran the four-seater until 1975 and then stored it until 1991. It was in September of that year that Mr Claude Levi, also of East Grinstead, acquired 'JJW 591'. Some 22,000 worth of restoration was carried out while the car was in his care - not least a complete retrim. The Jaguar then passed to a Mr J Linton in September 1997, at which point the mileage was said to have totalled a mere 39,920 in all. The indicated mileage today still only stands at 44,473. The car has been used for several events in Lincolnshire and Norfolk as well as selected Jaguar Drivers' Club meetings (collecting various awards along the way). The car is considered by its enthusiast owner to be a pleasure to drive and has excellent bodywork, with Cream paintwork, Red leather trim, original engine and original four-speed manual gearbox. This is a truly impeccable specimen of the most charismatic of Jaguar and comes complete with sundry tools, a huge history file, numerous old MOTs and tax discs. The current MOT and road tax are valid to February 2013.

Lot Details
Auction Fine Motor cars incl. The Jaguar Legend
Coys, Blenheim Palace,Woodstock, Oxfordshire, OX20 1PX
TypeCar
Lot Number151
Estimate£70000-£85000
Outcome NOT SOLD
Hammer Price-
Hammer Price (inc premium)-
Year1951
Condition rating1
Registration numberJJW 591
Mileage-
Chassis number640 391
Engine number
Engine capacity (cc)
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors2