Lot 114: Daimler Conquest 'New Drop-Head Coup�'
One of the founding firms of the British motor industry, Daimler was part of the expanding BSA group by 1911. By this time the adoption of the refined 'Silent Knight' sleeve-valve engine had done much to turn around the company's fortunes and establish Daimler as a marque committed to engineering excellence, a policy which continued in the 1920s with the introduction of the 'Double-Six' � Britain's first V12. Its traditional characteristics had long endeared the marque to the nobility, and indeed, in pre-war years the company's products were preferred by the British Royal Family to those of rivals Rolls-Royce. A small car by Daimler standards, the Conquest was, according to The Autocar, 'designed to cater for the driver who requires a vehicle of high quality and detail finish, coupled with a good performance, but does not want a large or heavy car.' The medium-sized Conquest debuted at the 1953 Motor Show featuring a new 2.4-litre, overhead-valve, six-cylinder engine coupled to the familiar Daimler fluid flywheel and pre-selector gearbox, and retained a separate chassis incorporating independent front suspension and Girling Hydro-mechanical brakes. Also new, but very different from its sober-sided saloon sibling, was the Conquest Roadster, whose sensational, American-influenced lines were the last thing anyone expected from Daimler. A convincing embodiment of the company's contemporary 'Out Of Pedigree Comes Pace' advertising slogan, the lightweight, alloy-bodied two-seater Roadster could top 100mph, with 60mph reachable in 14.5 seconds. Intended for export only at first and offered in revised 'New Drop-Head Coup�' from 1955, the exclusive Roadster was built in limited numbers, a mere 119 being produced between 1953 and 1957. The 'New Drop-Head Coup�' offered here was originally owned by the flamboyant Lady Norah Docker, wife of Daimler chairman, Sir Bernard Docker, who was also head of its parent company, the BSA Group. Norah had married Sir Bernard in 1949 following two other millionaire marriages. She is best remembered as the inspiration behind a series of outrageously styled and appointed 'Docker Specials', usually with coachwork by Hooper & Co, another BSA Group member, which were the sensation of many a 1950s Motor Show. First registered in London on 23rd May 1957, 'TYL 150' is one of only 54 of the later 'New Drop-Head Coup�' version made and has that model's distinctive three-seater accommodation, the third seat being mounted transversely behind the front seats. Benefiting from a new exhaust system, brake cylinder and whitewall tyres, the Daimler is said to be unmodified and is described by the vendor as in generally excellent condition, with good bodywork. The car is offered with its original logbook, current MoT and Swansea V5 registration document.
Goodwood Revival Sale|
Bonhams, Chichester, Goodwood
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£50000|
|Registration number||TYL 150|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors||2|