Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 427: Norton 16H

Grand Palais Sale, Bonhams (7 February 2013)

Having hitherto relied on proprietary engines, Norton introduced its own power unit in 1907. The long-stroke sidevalve single displaced 633cc and the new model it powered became known as the 'Big 4'. Smaller capacity versions followed and in 1911 the 500 adopted the classic 79x100mm bore/stroke dimensions which would characterise the half-litre (actually 490cc) Norton for the next 50 years. The 490cc engine was revised for 1914 and in 1921 the Model 16, as it had become known, received a new lower frame, becoming the 16H. Norton's trusty sidevalve would be continuously updated for the next 30-plus years - many seeing service with Allied forces in WW2 - before taking its final bow, alongside the Big 4, in 1954. This 16H's 'W' engine number prefix suggests that originally it may have been supplied for military use. The machine is offered with French Carte Grise normale.

Lot Details
Auction Grand Palais Sale
Bonhams, Paris, France
TypeMotorcycle
Lot Number427
Outcome SOLD
Hammer Price€5500
Hammer Price (inc premium)€6325
Year1938
Condition rating
Registration number6884 VG 61
Mileage-
Chassis number81510
Engine numberW84180
Engine capacity (cc)490
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors