Follow Motorbase:
Search Motorbase for

Lot 433: BSA Bantam D1

Grand Palais Sale, Bonhams (7 February 2013)

Developed from the pre-war DKW RT125 and announced in 1948, the Bantam became a top-seller for BSA, in excess of half a million leaving the Birmingham factory before production ceased in 1971. Originally of 123cc, the engine grew first to 148cc - on the D3 Bantam Major, introduced for 1954 - and then to 172cc. Plunger rear suspension became an option in 1950, as did battery electrics powered by a 6-volt Lucas alternator, Wico-Pacy direct lighting having been relied upon hitherto. The next major changes to the cycle parts occurred in 1956 with the introduction of swinging-arm rear suspension and a sturdier telescopic front fork on the Bantam Major. This example of the plunger-suspended, Wico-equipped Bantam D1 appears to be in substantially original condition. There is no registration document with this Lot.

Lot Details
Auction Grand Palais Sale
Bonhams, Paris, France
TypeMotorcycle
Lot Number433
Outcome SOLD
Hammer Price€600
Hammer Price (inc premium)€690
Year1951
Condition rating
Registration number
Mileage-
Chassis numberYD1S 45505
Engine number441169 Y1
Engine capacity (cc)123
Engine - cylinders
Number of doors