Lot 461: Zündapp KS750 'Sahara' Motorcycle Combination
Founded at the height of WWI to manufacture armaments, Zündapp found a new role post-war as a producer of motorcycles under the direction of new owner, Dr Fritz Neumeyer, building its first machine, a Levis-powered two-stroke, in 1921. The firm began making its own engines in 1924, selling more than 10,000 machines that year, and in 1933 introduced the first of the four-stroke flat twins that it is best remembered for. The initial 398cc and 498cc sidevalve models were followed in 1939 by the 598cc K600, the latter, like its predecessors, employing designer Richard Küchen's un-conventional all-chain four-speed 'gearbox' and shaft final drive. A frame and girder fork made of pressed steel were advanced features. Zündapp's first overhead-valve twin, the KS600, appeared in 1939 and would provide the basis for the KS750. Developed specifically for service with the Wehrmacht, the KS750 motorcycle combination featured shaft drive to the Steib sidecar's wheel, reverse gear, hydraulic brakes and interchangeable wheels. During WW2 the KS750 saw service on every front, its production outstripping that of the similar BMW R75 with some 18,600 built before production was discontinued in 1944. This example was discovered in Greece and first registered for civilian use in 1958. The current owner acquired the machine in 1996. Restored in 2002 with the assistance of Vassilios Papaioanou and finished in the Sahara sand yellow typical of vehicles used by the Afrika Korps, it has the eight-speed dual-ratio transmission with locking differential and reverse gear; machine gun bracket; ammunition cases, leather panniers, jerrycan, spare wheel, etc. Presented in running order, the machine benefits from a recent service and is described as in generally very good condition. There are no documents with this Lot.
Grand Palais Sale|
Bonhams, Paris, France
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||€35650|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|