Lot 572: Victoria Combination 2¼hp
The Victoria Combination was built by Les Cycles de la Société Parisienne and also sold as the Eureka. This example was sold at auction in the UK in 1969, at which time it was noted that it came from France and effectively had had only one owner from new. The catalogue stated that a 2¼hp De Dion Bouton engine was fitted originally, this having been upgraded to 3½hp early in the car's life. We feel that the engine currently fitted is probably its original 2¼hp type. Remarkably, this vehicle comes with its original invoice dated 19th July 1899 while others on file indicate that it remained in use until 1922. The buyer in 1969, its second owner, retained the Victoria until 2008 and participated in the London-Brighton Veteran Car Run in 1985, 1989 and 2007, winning a prize in the prestigious Regent Street Concours d'Élegance on the last occasion. This vehicle carries a plaque bearing the name Henri Rachel at Athis Mons; this name being shown on the invoice as its original purchaser. The varnished wood coachwork is complemented by a leather cape cart hood and green cloth upholstery, and the car is also equipped with brass side lamps by Lutece and a bulb horn. Purchased at Bonhams' sale of the Ward Brothers Reserve Collection in July 2009 (Lot 172), this splendid Victorian vehicle comes with FIVA passport and an excellent history file containing many early invoices.
Grand Palais Sale|
Bonhams, Paris, France
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||€43700|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|