Lot 576: Talbot 25hp Model 6AS Six-cylinder 'Roi-de-Belges' Tourer
The name Talbot is inextricably linked in the veteran era with that of Adolphe Cl�ment who had commenced motor car production as early as 1899, graduating like so many contemporary French manufacturers from the bicycle industry and also active involvement in the development of the pneumatic tyre. Cl�ment's earliest cars adopted the ubiquitous De Dion Bouton engines, while a Cl�ment-Panhard was also built to the design of Commandant Krebs of Panhard-Levassor fame. In England aristocrat Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 20th Earl of Shrewsbury & Talbot, lent his name in 1903 to a new company established to import French Cl�ment-Bayard motor cars and by 1904 a new English factory was built in London from which the first British-assembled Talbots emerged in 1905. The first British-made Talbots appeared in 1906. In 1910 the 25hp six-cylinder Talbot was announced, clearly aimed at elevating Talbot into the same league as the six-cylinder Napier and Rolls-Royce offerings. The 3.6 litre, six-cylinder, cast in pairs, engine drove through a four speed gearbox and dual ignition was standard. Semi-elliptic leaf springing accommodated the more substantial coachwork this model was designed to carry, complemented by a transverse rear spring for greater passenger comfort. This car was exported new to Australia and the dashboard plate indicates supply by the Armstrong Cycle and Motor Agency of Hay St., Perth. (Note - the plate refers to this car as a 20hp). Early ownership and history are not recorded however the car was discovered in derelict condition in the 1960s by enthusiast John Gloyn of Western Australia and meticulously rebuilt in time to participate in the 1970 Sydney to Melbourne International Rally. Dashboard mounted plaques indicate active rally use in the 1970s. In more recent years this imposing and powerful car was acquired for a noted English collection, completing further epic journeys prior to shipping to the UK where it has continued to see active use. Now presented in French blue livery with deep-buttoned red leather upholstery, the car is furnished with Rushmore acetylene headlamps, Lucas oil sidelamps and a P&H acetylene generator, a Boa Constrictor horn and a Stepney spare wheel. An interesting accessory for the eco-conscious is the AAA Automatic Petrol Save system. Generously equipped for touring, the car has excellent weather equipment including hood and sidescreens and a useful rear luggage locker. This striking, quick and exceptionally rare Edwardian British motor car is offered with useful driving/maintenance notes and English registration documents and is registered with The Veteran Car Club of Great Britain.
Grand Palais Sale|
Bonhams, Paris, France
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|