Lot 166: Lavie Runabout
By 1900, it was possible to talk about a national automotive industry in many industrialised countries, including Belgium, Switzerland , Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Italy and as far afield as Australia (where Pioneer set up shop in 1898, with an already archaic paraffin-fuelled centre-pivot-steered wagon). Meanwhile, the export trade had begun to be global, with Koch exporting cars and trucks from Paris to Tunisia, Egypt, Iran, and the Dutch East Indies. Within a few years, a dizzying assortment of technologies were being produced by hundreds of manufactures all over the western world. Steam, electricity, and petrol/gasoline-powered automobiles competed for decades, until petrol/gasoline internal combustion engines achieved dominance in the 1910s.Innovation was rapid and rampant, with no clear standards for basic vehicle architecture whether of body styles, construction materials, or controls& Many veteran cars use a tiller, rather than a wheel for steering. During 1903, Rambler standardized the steering wheel and moved the driver's position to the left-hand side of the vehicle. Chain drive began temporarily to exert dominance over the drive shaft, and closed bodies were extremely rare, as wood frames did not survive excessive flexing. Lavie was not like any car manufacturer we recognise today. Mr Lavie, of Avenue de Choisy in Paris, only managed to make two cars. Chassis 001 was made for his brother who was Consigliere Generale of Pressigny and 002 was made for Mr. Lavie himself. The second owner was a man called Philipe Coffre, who was an Italian engineer living in Fontainebleau on the outskirts of Paris. After this, the history of the car becomes cloudy until it turns up again in 1968 at the Le Mans Museum. The Museum kept the car from 1968 to 1978 when it had the registration number of 565 PZ 77. On the 15th of May 1978 the Le Mans museum sold the car at auction at Fontainebleau through French auctioneer Christian Huet to a Mr George Parquet. The new owner went on to use the car at seemingly every event for Veteran cars in France as the list of events entered is considerable, campaigning right up until 2002. The Lavie is a very usable car for these type of events, especially when compared to other cars in this period. Since 2002 the car has been in Italy where it has taken part in various events. Subject to Veteran Car Club certification, this car is a potential entry in the London to Brighton rally. The engine is a Delahaye Titan with 2 straight vertical cylinders and has a Claudel carburettor, making it capable of a top speed of 55kmh. Mechanically, the car has been completely overhauled with the Engine, gearbox, clutch, cooling and chassis having been totally restored. Also, new pistons, exhaust valves and inlet valves have been made. The car would be an excellent London to Brighton entrant, particularly as it provides excellent cover from the English weather.
HISTORIC COLLECTORS MOTORCARS|
Coys, Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, OX20 1PX
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||-|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|