Lot 386A: Ford Thames 400E OCC Drop-side Truck
By the mid-1950s, Ford in Britain had fallen behind its rivals in the light commercial vehicle market, relying on the elderly, sidevalve-engined Fordson E83W 10cwt chassis, which had been introduced back in 1938. Clearly something more modern was needed, preferably capable of carrying heavier payloads, and the result was the Ford Thames 400E. Introduced in 1957, the latter was powered by the 1.7-litre overhead-valve engine found in the contemporary Ford Consul saloon, and was available in 10, 12, and 15cwt versions. The Consul's three-speed column change gearbox was retained but there was insufficient room in the cab-forward design for the saloon's McPherson Strut independent front suspension, so the Thames used wishbone-type IFS instead. A wide variety of body types was offered – van, estate car and bus among them - and the Thames was also available in cab-only and chassis/windscreen forms for bodying to the customer's own requirements. By the time production ceased in 1967, around 187,000 examples of this versatile and most successful model had been made. First owned by renowned lawnmower manufacturers Atco, the Thames offered here benefits from a recent total rebuild costing circa £14,000, including a new oak body to original specification. A photographic record of the rebuild is available and the vehicle also comes with current MoT certificate and Swansea V5C document.
The Beaulieu Sale|
Bonhams, Hampshire, UK
|Hammer Price (inc premium)||£8050|
|Engine capacity (cc)|
|Engine - cylinders|
|Number of doors|