OverviewThe Albatros was an English automobile manufactured in Croft Road, Coventry and founded in 1922 by H.T.W. Manwaring. The origin of the name remains a mystery.
There were two models, an 8 and a 10 hp, both using side valve Coventry-Climax engines.
The 1247 cc 10 hp was sold in two versions. The Utility model had a three speed gearbox and shaft drive to a rear axle with no differential and rear wheel brakes only. It was only available with open two seat coachwork and cost £200. The Special Touring model was similar in mechanical specification but did have a differential and electric starting and was available with a variety of bodies including closed saloons or as chassis only. It cost between £190 (chassis only) and £275 for the 2 seat coupe.
In late 1923 the 10 hp was joined by a smaller 1094 cc 8 hp with 2 seat body at £165 or a sports model at £190.
In 1924 the company appears to have been in financial difficulties and moved to new premises at Bedford Street, Coventry. A new car was launched still rated at 10 hp but with a larger 1368 cc engine still by Coventry-Climax and priced at £210 but they failed to take a stand at the London Motor Show that year and the company seems to have been declared bankrupt at the end of the year.
Only a few cars were ever made and it is thought that only two survive.