OverviewThe Ashton-Evans was an English car manufactured in Birmingham from 1919 to 1928 by an engineering company who also made railway locomotives and aircraft parts. The cars were designed by E Bailey who had been with Sunbeam and T Bedford.
The first car of the marque had a rear track of only 8 inches (200 mm) to avoid the need for a differential, but a normal rear axle was used from 1920 on when the car name changed to Ashton before reverting to Ashton-Evans in 1921. Most cars featured 1½-litre, 4 cylinder Coventry Simplex engines and three speed constant-mesh gearboxes with selection made by dog clutches. Some of the early cars might have had two cylinder engines. Two and four seat open bodies were available.
Car production was temporarily suspended in 1927 but never resumed.
As many as 250 might have been made