This car took its name from the Belsize Works, formerly a bicycle factory, where Marshall & Co. began making cars in 1897. These were based on the French Hurtu, which in turn was a close replica of the Benz. A new design appeared in 1901, a shaft driven 4-seater tonneau powered by a 12hp 2-cylinder Buchet engine. It was the first car to be called a Belsize, though this was a model name, the car being described as Marshall's 'Belsize'. The company was reformed as the Belsize Motor Car & Engineering Co. Ltd in 1903 and was reformed again with considerably more capital in 1906.