The first car produced under the name of Chenard & Walcker was introduced at the Paris Motor Show in 1901. The first model, a three-wheeler with a De Dion-engine, was a fiasco, but from 1901 onwards the situation improved. The cars were not very sporty-looking. This changed in 1922, when the factory introduced a model with a four-cylinder engine with an overhead camshaft. In 1924, a real racing car with an eight-cylinder engine was introduced. This so-called X-type was powered by a 3,492cc eight-in-line engine that delivered 130bhp.
After 1928, no more races were run, as a result of which the make rapidly became less widely known. In 1927, Chenard & Walcker merged with Delahaye, Unic, and Donnet. The joint venture was to last until 1932.
The complete encyclopedia of Vintage Cars - Rob de la Rive Box