The Jackson company was established in 1904 as general engineers, and ventured into car production with a design by M.C. Inman Hunter who had previously been chief designer for Adams-Hewitt. The Cheswold car, named after a local stream, had a 2612cc 15.9hp 4-cylinder engine with separately cast cylinders, 4 speed gearbox and worm-drive rear axle. This was made by Wrigley, but the engine and gearbox were made in house. The radiator was dashboard mounted, in Renault style. Only one model of Cheswold was offered in the five years of its life, an open tourer, though some were bodied as ambulances.