In 1900, cousins Frank and Alwyn Smith started to build motorcycles in Wolverhampton. In 1922, the 'Clyno Engineering Company Ltd' built its first motorcar. The small cars were powered by 1,368 cc four cylinder engines made by Coventry Climax. In the first year of production, 623 Clynos were made. The cars were fast and reliable. The company invested a great deal of money in racing and in 1924, a Clyno won a race at the Brooklands circuit with an average speed of 70 mph (113 kph). In 1929, the product range consisted of four models, namely the 12//35 in a standard or luxury version, the Nine and the Century. The cars sold well, but they were priced so low that the company hardly made any money on them. For insiders it was therefore hardly surprising that the company had to file for bankruptcy in 1929. Over the years, the factory had sold a total of more than 40,000 cars.
The complete encyclopedia of Vintage Cars - Rob de la Rive Box