Delaugère & Clayette
In the middle of the 19th century Jean-Pierre Delaugère established a carriage making business in Orléans. His son Emile and nephew Félix began making motor tricycles and quadricycles in 1898 and unusually these had engines also made by the duo, whilst the vehicles were sold using the name Romain, perhaps reflecting the city's early history. Delaugère cars of two and four-cylinders followed, these being modelled on the design of the contemporary Panhard-Levassor and were equally substantial, the 24hp model having a 6.3-litre engine. Maurice Clayette an engineer from Meung-sur-Loire joined the firm in 1903 and the following year the cars took the name Delaugère & Clayette.
Although some cars were exported most were sold within the Orléanais region and they were rarely reported upon in the French motoring press. Delaugère & Clayette succumbed to mass-produced competition from the likes of Citroën and Renault in the 1920s and Panhard bought the factory.