1898 - 1927
Dürkopp was like a number of other makers of motorcars in that the firm's origins were as manufacturers of sewing machines, made from the 1860s onwards at Bielefeld in Westphalia. Bicycles were soon added to the product range and motorcars were first made in 1898. These were very similar to Panhard-Levassor cars both in layout and appearance and it is therefore somewhat ironic that between 1899 and 1901 the Société anonyme des Automobiles Canello-Dürkopp built Dürkopp cars in the Paris suburb of Corbevoie.
A rear-engined tandem-seated voiturette was made in 1899 and the following year saw the introduction of a conventional light car, although this had side-chain drive, a feature that Dürkopp retained until 1907. The firm was also in the vanguard of those making three-cylinder engines and in the latter part of 1903 it built one of the first six-cylinder engines ever produced. Both these three and six-cylinder engines were used in buses which became an important branch of the business that continued for three years after the cessation of motorcar production.