Thoughts in Germany quickly turned to building cars after peace was signed following World War II. This was difficult for BMW because its factories at Eisenach were now in the Russian zone, forcing them to start again in Munich. The Russians and East Germans annexed the BMW factories and started to make the pre-war types 321, 340 and 327. They were not permitted to use the white BMW emblem so in its place they used a new red and white emblem. When the rights were granted to the BMW works in West Germany, the East Germans re-named their cars Eisenach EMW. The pre-war designs remained in production until 1955 when the factory started to make its own models such as the Wartburg.