1946 - 1950
The name came from the attractive little Gordano valley, adjacent to Bristol, now overshadowed by the M5 motorway. During Word War II a group of enthusiasts planned a radically new sports car, featuring all-round independent suspension and a gearbox in unit with the rear axle. Finance was promised by the Fry cousins, members of a prominent confectionary-making family. Despite enormous unforseen development problems two prototypes were eventually put on the road, with 1548cc MG VA and 1767cc Lea-Francis engines respectivley, pending the resolution of teething problems with the 1.5 litre Cross rotary valve engine.
Source: The Beaulieu Encyclopeadia of the Automobile