Charles Portass founded his business in 1889, making optical and scientific instruments. He was joined by his son Stanley in 1907, and after the war years spent on aircraft work, they decided to enter the car business. Designed by H.F. Goode, the H.F.G. was a cyclecar with some unconventional features. The 1244cc flat-twin engine was mounted on the nearside, with the crankshaft transverse to the frame, and the flywheel acted directly on a friction disc on the offside, giving three forward speeds. The propeller shaft ran diagonally to the bevel drive rear axle. Front suspension was by inverted quarter-elliptic springs, and the rear springs were cantilever. All the major components were made in the factory, and the price was a not unreasonable £195, but few cars were sold. The company remained in business making bodies for cars, vans and light trucks under the name Heeley Motor & Manufacturing Co. Ltd up to about 1930. After this they made the Portass Lathe until they finally closed down in 1977.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile