1897 - 1902
Felix Hudlass inherited some money from his father and invested it in a small workshop at Southport, Lancashire. This is where he built a prototype car, it had a vertical twin engine mounted at the front, which was very unusual for its date. Final drive was by belt. Apart from the coachwork Hudlass built the car entirely himself, so it took a long time to finish. This possibly explains the discrepancy over dates quoted as 1894 or 1896. Over the next seven years he built and sold about 12 cars. Some were of Benz layout, with large horizontal single-cylinder engines at the rear; one of these had an early example of an enclosed doctor's coupe body. By 1902 four models were offered, single cyinder 6 and 10hp, and twins of 12 and 20hp, their engines being front mounted under a bonnet. The larger of the singles, sometimes quoted as a 9hp, had square dimensions of 156 x 156mm, giving a capacity of 2980cc. Hudlass moved to London in 1903 and made a few cars powered by Villiers 2-stroke engines. In 1904 he joined the RAC as their only engineer, and remained with them until 1947.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile