1908 - 1909
The Humphris car was built to demonstrate the Humphris gear system, in which the crown wheel on the rear axle was replaced by a vertical disc with concentric rows of holes; a pinion from the propeller shaft engaged with different rows of holes for each speed, the disc sliding back laterally so that the pinion could move from one row of holes to another. The system had been tried on a Darracq before any Humphris cars were made. Although various engines were listed as being available in the Humphris, including a 10/12, 12/14, 15/17 and 25/30hp, it is likely that these were wall experimental vehicles. Few were sold, though one went to a hotel owner at nearby Gosport.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile