Most of the Auto-Union factories were with-in the Russian zone after World War II and this was also true of DKW. The debris and rubble was piled so high in Zwickau where Audi and DKW had been built before 1940 that it took until 1948 before anyone could think about producing cars but they did return. These were no longer Audis or a DKW but IFA for Industrieverband Fahrzeugbau (industrial union for vehicle construction). An early type F9 could be admired at the Leipzig trade fair in 1948. Its price of 13,200 Ostmark was outside the ordinary person's reach and the F8, which was a fairly faithful copy of a pre-war DKW with two-stroke engine, was also very expensive at 8,415 Ostmark. At least these prices were too high for those living in East Germany but in the West these cars were among the cheapest on the market. The first F9 cars were built at the former Audi factory in Zwickau but from 1953 production was moved to the former BMW factory in Eisenach. The body of the F8 was largely made from plywood but this quickly rotting material was no longer used for the F9. IFA cars remained in production until they were replaced by the famous or perhaps infamous Trabant.