1919 - 1938
The Jewel started out as a cyclecar powered by a 10hp air-cooled V-twin Precision engine, with 4-speed friction transmission and chain drive. There was nothing unusual about that, but John Wood continued to make its successors for nearly twenty years, yet never formed a company. The first car had a bullnose radiatior which was replaced in 1922 by a flat design with a 1088cc 4-cylinder Alpha engine.
By 1925 he was using a 1247cc 4-cylinder Meadows engine, and had abandond the friction transmission and chain drive for a conventional 3-or 4-speed gearbox and Moss spiral bevel rear axle. It was quite a large car, in 2-or 4 seater tourer forms at £245 and as a 3-door saloon at £295.
Wood clearly did not make a living from car manufacture, and he also did contract machining for Jowett, assembled tracks for Bristol tractors and engaged in general garage work. After the war he made caravans to special order, building the complete caravan including plumbing for hot and cold water. In 1962 he sold the business to the Yorkshire and England cricketer, Herbert Sutcliffe.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile