The Jowett has an unusual history in that it began as a strictly utilitarian small car, most of which were sold in the North of England, while its last models were sporting saloons more advanced than any British contemporaries, and which found buyers all over Europe.
Founded by two brothers from Yorkshire, England, the Jowett company began experimenting with cars in 1906. Eventually Jowett launched its own small car using a horizontally opposed, two cylinder engine for power. In 1936 an additional four cylinder engine was introduced, although the original unit would last until 1953.
Post-war the company enjoyed a good reputation and produced a diverse range of cars and light commercials including the Bradford van, Javelin saloon, and Jupiter sports. Sadly the company hit financial trouble in 1954 and disappeared from fading British car industry.