1908 - 1912
Henry Sturmey founded Britain's first motoring magazine, The Autocar, in 1895, and in 1900 built a single example of a light car powered by a 2.75hp M.M.C. motorcycle engine, which he hoped to sell for £100. He never put it into production and from 1902 to 1906 he made the British Duryea under licence from the American company. When this venture came to an end he used the same factory for the manufacture of Napier-Parsons delivery vans and, from 1908, cars he called the Lotis. They had 10/12 or 12/18hp V-twin Riley engines mounted under the seat, but for 1909 the engines were located under a Renault-type bonnet. There was also a short-lived 8hp single-cylinder model listed in 1908, The twins were made as taxicabs, being supplied to several foreign cities inlcluding Warsaw and Rio de Janeiro. From 1910 4-cylinder White & Poppe engines were used, of 18/21, 20/24 and 25/32hp, the last having a capacity of 4082cc. They had worm drive whereas the commercial vehicles had bevel drive.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encycopaedia of the Automobile