1905 - 1920
New Engine Co. Ltd.
This company was founded in 1903, to make 2-stroke aero-engines, designed by G.F. Mort. Their first premises were in Reading, but in 1904 they moved to larger premises at Acton. Aero-engines were made at least until 1913 and were supplied to a number of aircraft manufaturers including A.V. Roe and Shorts.
The first N.E.C. car was marketed in 1905. It had a 2-speed gearbox, but from 1906 onwards, three speeds were provided. The engine was a 24hp 4-cylinder, but 15 and 20hp twins were made between 1906 and 1911, and 30 and 40hp fours from 1907 to 1914.
Most N.E.C.s were tourers or town cars with limousine or landaulette bodies, but a few 2-seaters were made on the smaller chassis. All coachwork was made at the Acton works. A 30hp tourer competed in the 1907 Scottish Reliability Trial.
N.E.C. production was quite limited probably not above 100 cars per year. Mort died in 1911 and the business was carried on by his brother. The 30 and 40hp models were carried on some lists up to 1922, but any postwar N.E.C.s were probably assembled from prewar stock. By 1921 the company was involved in making drilling machine tables, general engineering and component manufacture.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile