After Alanson Brush designed the first Cadillac, he started an engineering firm in Detroit. There, he designed a new two-cylinder engine for Edward Murphy. This resulted in the Oakland, a passenger car that was introduced in 1907. The Oakland Motorcar Company was on Oakland Avenue in Pontiac, Michigan. The number of cars the company sold was so small that Murphy decided to sell the make to General Motors. Subsequently, a new and better engine was developed with the money from the new owner. This four-cylinder was introduced in 1910, and in that same year, no less than 3,000 Oaklands were sold. In 1915, this number even rose to 12,000 cars. In that year, the range included several models in different price-ranges. The 37 was powered by a four-cylinder engine, a six-cylinder engine was installed in the Oakland 49, and then 50 even had an eight-in-line engine. In 1926, General Motors founded Pontiac.
The price of a Pontiac was lower than that of the Oakland. The car sold so well that even Oakland's turnover was affected. In 1930, General Motors tried to save the make by presenting a new model, the Oakland 101. The 101 had an inexpensive V8-engine. But the model was a disaster: in 1926, 56,909 cars were sold and in 1931 this number fell to 8,672 cars. Subsequently, General Motors decided to withdraw the make from the market.
The complete encyclopedia of Vintage Cars - Rob de la Rive Box