1906 - 1908
Designed by J.S. Critchley who was also responsible for the first Crossley, this was an unconventional design using originally a 12/14hp Fafnir and later a 15.9hp White & Poppe engine tranversely-mounted under the seat and driving the front wheels through a 3-speed epicyclic gearbox. The first examples had pneumatic tyres at the front and solids at the rear. These were taxicabs and more Pullcars were built for this work than as private cars. They were licensed by the Metropolitan Police for use in London, though few ran there.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile