1921 - 1931
This company was a subsidiary of Mead & Deakin Ltd who made bicycle and motorcycle components, Canoelet sidecars and in 1912 had built two prototype cycelcars called Medea. In 1921 the Rhode Motor Co. was formed to make a light car powered by their own deisgn of 1087cc 4-cylinder engine. The use of a single-ohc was unusual on a light car at that time, though the rear axle was less up-to-date, having no differential. The first model known as the 9.5hp had an Occasional Four body, but this gave way to a full 4-seater in 1924, with a 1232cc engine, and the added luxuries of a differential and a self starter.
The Rhode became less sporting in 1926, when the single-ohc engine gave way to a pushrod ohv unit of the same capacity, thoughh the ohc returned on the Hawk made from 1928 onwards. In 1926 Rhodes were leaving the factory at the rate of about 50 cars per week and it is thought that about 1000 9.5s and 1500 10.8s were made between 1921 and 1928. In that year it was taken over by McKenzie and Denley. Thomas McKenzie had made cars under his own name from 1913 to 1926 and H.B. Denley had been in charge of sales and testing at Rhode.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile