The Eadie Manufacturing Company of Redditch was a major supplier of frames and components to the British and French cycle trade and started making complete De Dion-powered tricycles and quadricycles in the summer of 1899. At the end of the year its sister cycle firm that had been established in 1896, the Enfield Cycle Company, also began marketing identical vehicles using the Royal Enfield name. Both Vinot & Deguingand and Ader motorcars were imported and sold as Royal Enfields and in 1904 a 6hp single-cylinder car made entirely of Lacoste et Battmann components with a De Dion Bouton engine was also sold in this way. In September of that year the firm produced its first 'in-house' designed car, fitted with a vertical two-cylinder Enfield engine. The Enfield Autocar Company was formed in 1905 and made two and four-cylinder models, the word 'Royal' disappearing from the cars the next year.
Alldays bought the motorcar business in 1908 but Royal Enfield motorcycles had a separate and distinguished history including the manufacture of these machines in India from the 1950s onwards.