1903 - 1906
Named after the Roman road that passes through Burton-on-Trent, the Rkynield company was set up by Ernest Edward Baguley, who had been apprenticed at locomotive builders Hawthorn Leslie. The first car had a 10/12hp vertical twin engine and shaft drive, and was joined in 1905 by a 15hp 3-cylinder model and a 24hp 4-cylinder with a capacity of over six litres and chain drive. Initial plans called for production of 150 cars a week, which was clearly quite unrealistic. In fact, no more than 100 cars were made in the first year. The company collapsed in 1906 and no more Ryknield cars were made, though commercials were revived from 1909 to 1911. Baguley moved to B.S.A. where he designed a range of conventional 4-cylinder cars, then returned to Bourton-on-Trent in 1911 and took over the now vacant Ryknield works to make a car under his own name.
Source: Nick Georgano / The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile