OverviewAnother Turin based company mostly known for making bodies for Fiat cars, Savio was founded in 1919 by the two Savio brothers, Antonio and Giuseppe. Having learnt their trade working for Alessio, they started in Via Tiziano 38 by completing 600 bodies for Itala chassis for their previous employer. Another early project was a four door saloon built on a Ceirano chassis, the first use of the silent-bloc system. They went on to make bodies for numerous manufacturers (including Itala, OM, Isotta Fraschini, Ansaldo, Chiribiri, Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia) as well as for other carrozzeria (including Garavini, Farina, Boneschi and Ghia).
After the war Antonio withdrew from the company, but Giuseppe continued alone until he passed away in 1954. At that point Alfredo Caracciolo took control, a few years later he moved the company to Borgo San Pietro di Moncalieri. In the following years the company diversified and created a prototype section, and later a special resins department.
They became more closely connected with Fiat around this time, and produced the 1400B saloon, 1200 Sport, 2300S Coupe and 600D Polis. In 1965 they released the Fiat 600 based 'Jungla', later evolving into a 126 based model. Prototypes were also built, such as the 125 based Coupé and estate which were shown at the 1969 Turin Motorshow. Notable amongst their relatively recent products is the Lancia Delta S4, for which Savio made the body.
The company still exists today and is divided into three parts, the prototype area, making functional prototypes, the series production area, producing runs of special vehicles such as ambulances, and the resin area, undertaking research, development and production of the special materials.