Launched alongside its smaller sister the A40 Cambridge, the A50 Cambridge made its debut in 1954. The A50 was visually identical to the A40 version the only initial difference being that it was only available as a four door saloon. Both these new Cambridge models shared the 3 box shape styling with its slim line radiator grille and spacious interior accommodation.
Mechanically the A50 Cambridge featured a larger 1489cc, overhead valve, four cylinder engine and a higher rear axle ratio which improved high speed cruising. The A50 had gave good performance for its class and was even available with an optional Borg-Warner overdrive unit which operated on 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears, a semi-automatic gearbox was also available but was not that successful.
The A50 was replaced in 1957 by the revised A55 Cambridge.