The Prefect E493A took over from its predecessor, the E93A, in 1949. Very little had changed from the previous model, in fact it was really only a cosmetic facelift which the Prefect needed to remain competitive. The front wings now looked more integral and carried the larger headlamps.
The Prefect retained its quaint 1930's feel and featured a traditional interior and fabric roof centre panel. Production finished in 1953 to make way for the much more modern 100E range, which included a new Prefect model.