From 1953 Morgan made good use of the new Triumph TR series engine in its Plus Four model. The TR2 1991cc engine was used at first and from 1955 the 95bhp TR3 engine entered service. From 1961 a more powerful 105bhp engine was also available, the Plus Four always offered good levels of performance with any of these engines.
To enhance the competition feel of the Plus Four, Morgan fitted the car with a stronger chassis, hydraulic and disc brakes from 1959. The Plus Four could be ordered with either 2 seater or 4 seater coachwork, a few 2 seat drophead coupes were also built.