Launched in 1960 the Rover 100 effectively replaced the earlier 90 model which had sold so well from when it first appeared in 1953. The 100 used seven bearing, 2625cc six cylinder engine which provided plenty of power and a top speed approaching 100mph despite only having a single carburettor.
As with other models in the P4 range the 100 featured a substantial four door saloon body mounted on a separate chassis. The 100 was beautifully made and featured an interior trimmed in wood and leather. There were many "olde worlde" oddities such as the "Shepherds Crook" handbrake and the distinctive front grille complete with its famous "Viking Ship" Rover badge. The P4 100 remained in production until the 110 model appeared in 1962.
Buyers Guide Rover P4 (1949-1964) featured in Practical Classics September 2004 – available from our sister site Bookbase. Click here to view. Also, Buyers Guide Rover P4 (1950-1964) featured in Practical Classics March 2010 – available from our sister site Bookbase. Click here to view.