Launched in 1959 as the flagship of the "Big Farina" family the Vanden Plas Princess 3 Litre became popular with luxury car buyers. These impressive cars were basically better trimmed and re-badged Austin A99 Westminster's finished by the Vanden Plas coachbuilding division of BMC.
Most Princess 3 Litres came with automatic transmission, an option becoming increasingly popular with this type of "luxury" car, however for more traditional buyers a manual version was also available. Most Princesses were finished in two-tone paint body colours, interiors were trimmed in the finest materials including leather and walnut veneers. The Princess 3 Litre became a MkII in 1961, in line with the rest of the range.